Meditation

Meditation

Tuesday 9 August 2016

5 Practical Ways to Help Depression: from a sufferer

Depression is a unique, horrible and well hidden illness. But it is affecting more and more people, so I wanted to share some ideas on the things that have helped me get through it, past and present, that might help others. 

Depression can affect people in different ways, so I will try to explain how I experience it. This video puts it perfectly for me. If this sounds familiar, give these ideas a try if you can, they might help.... even a bit.


1. Find a charity that offer peer support

This is similar to my advice on the 'Find Your People post on anxiety.' Peer support, for me, is amazing. It can help so much to find a supportive environment and share experiences with others. It's not a quick fix, because there really isn't one. But when you are having a day when the depression is really bad and getting out of bed seems daunting and seemingly impossible, it can help to know that there are people out there who feel the same and who are rooting for you. 

Charities have a lot on offer now, from support groups and social groups, to advice and coaching services. To know that your support group members care for you and would really miss you if you weren't around or to know that there is a cup of tea with your name on it waiting for you can be enough to help you find the will to fight. I always think having depression makes you physically feel like you're walking through treacle and just having a shower can take me hours. But knowing I have people who care waiting for me helps so much. Or perhaps you're feeling anxious about filling out a form, there might well be a local advocate who can help you do that. 

Where do I find a charity? Google is a great place to start but there are also a lot of information lines that might be able to help provide the contacts of local charities e.g. Mind and Rethink but also your GP will hopefully have links with support that's local to you. 

2. Seek professional treatment

Depression is a mental illness, and mental illness is a serious and real as physical illness. You deserve support to get through this and going to see your GP is really critical to getting well. You're GP will be able to refer you for psychological therapies, prescribe medication if you would like, signpost you to support groups and charities, assess your safety and monitor your illness.

It can be very daunting to make that first visit, but it is very important. If you don't find one GP is very helpful, then you can always try visiting another one in your practice. More and more GP's are making connections with local support services and the profile of mental health is being raised, so it is well worth having a chat to them. See if you can ask a friend or relative to go with you if you think that would help.

I have found talking therapy and mindfulness training has helped me so much and my GP was able to recommend an excellent hospital for me to go to. If you have private medical cover its worth seeing if it covers talking therapies. Sometimes there can be long waiting lists on the NHS, much like many things, and private treatment can be expensive. Personally I've found the money myself and my family have spent on treatment for my mental illnesses is the best investment we've ever made. I recently came across this excellent article on ways to find affordable therapy and sometimes charities provide scalable therapy services, so tip #1 is a good one to follow.

You can access therapy in so many ways too now. Talk to your GP about online CBT, for example from IESO or see if your workplace has an Employee Assistance Program, you can often access free phone or email counselling this way.  

If you do decide to undertake talking therapy you need to set aside time outside of sessions to work with your thoughts and feelings. It is hard work. My house is full of CBT worksheets and I have so many notebooks I'm single-handedly keeping Paperchase going! I practice my mindfulness exercises everyday and I write in my journal to help recognise any unhelpful thinking patterns as soon as possible. So I guess I'm trying to say, it really is worth doing your homework. 

3. Self-care

When you have the flu its best to rest up and get well. Sometimes we're tempted to carry on with a load of cough and cold remedies, but actually rest and care is the most effective way to get well. It's no different with depression. You're body and mind are under attack from an illness. Care is what you need. 


Self-care is different for everyone but here are some ideas to start you off with. 
  • See if a friend or loved one can help out with the chores or looking after the kids until you're well.
  • See if you can take some time off work or talk to you manager about making adjustments whilst you're not well e.g. regular rest breaks or working a more flexible pattern (you're GP can help recommend this to your work place if you request an Occupational Health assessment). 
  • Allow enough time for rest and sleep. If sleep is difficult see if you can create a helpful routine (I will make sure I post about mine in future).
  • Set out daily time to do activities that comfort you. Perhaps watching you're favourite TV program, eating your favourite food or doing something you enjoy like going to the cinema. Pick things that are low anxiety and as enjoyable as anything can be right now, given how you're feeling.
  • Curl up a lot - get a blanket, a cup of tea, put the TV on and tuck yourself up on the sofa as often as possible. This is what you do for a physical illness, mental illness needs the same care. Whenever you're feeling anxious or low, consider whether you need self-care. 
When I've been really depressed in the past and I felt suicidal, my husband would book cinema tickets regularly. I loved the cinema, we would pick quiet showings where no one was around. I would dress in my tracksuit, buy pick-a-mix and hot chocolate and literally curl up in the dark  cinema and get lost in the film. It was about the only thing I enjoyed at that time. I would call my husband to explain I was feeling suicidal and he would help me to promise I'd wait to see the film before I did anything. And week by week I kept making it to the cinema.... I'm still here 4 years later and I still love movies!


4. Self-help

Self-help books aren't for everyone. But, if you do like reading or you're willing to give it a try, there really is an amazing wealth of therapeutic material out there. When I was really unwell the first time, I was too ill to work. So I needed to create a structure for myself and I wanted to find out what I could do to help me recover. I find when I'm suffering a really bad bout of depression I cannot concentrate on reading a book, I often don't have the energy to even sit up! So I decided to try audiobooks. I would listen, sometimes fall asleep, sometimes cry too much to hear what was being said, but I'd try again the next day, and the next day, and the next day. I'd follow along with a copy of the book from the library. Until eventually I found the ideas were sinking in and I was ready to try some of the self-help techniques recommended.  Now, I have incorporated so many of the techniques I've learned into my life to improve my wellbeing and I use them in conjunction with my therapy.
Here are just a few of my favourites!
I thank all you lovely authors for changing my life! I'm serious, these books have!

If all that isn't for you.... how about trying a wellbeing app or an online self-help course. I've never used it myself but the NHS recommend FearFighter, an online CBT based program for fear, panic and anxiety and I've had MoodGYM recommended to me in the past. I haven't tried these yet, so if anyone has, please share your experiences in the comments! Thank you!

And here is a link to some apps from the Mind website Apps for Wellbeing and Mental Health. As I've mentioned before, I use the Headspace app to learn mindfulness meditation. I'm currently working on the depression pack and for me its proving really helpful. It helps me to relate to my thoughts and feelings in a different way, and its comforting to know there are techniques out there to help me recover.

5. One post-it at a time

This was something my counsellor helped me to do. When I was completely broken down and struggling to function at all, she gave me post-its to help change my life. At the time I was living in pyjamas and making whale noises!

(My husband would come home at 5.30pm and run me a bath. I would manage to peel myself off the sofa, take my pyjamas off and get in the bath. Then I would soak until I was all shrivelled up like a pea.... he would try and talk to me, I would just moan. I call this pyjamas and whale noises. If I ever write a book.... that's the title!)

I was tasked with writing out 3 post-its at a time. They were simple things to begin to get me moving. I would stick them up on the wall and just work on one post it at a time. I remember one was to wash up a knife and fork, and that was it (you cannot wash up when you're really depressed, it is physically impossible, unless you're suffering obsession at the same time - then I scream if someone tries to peel me away from it...). That was a tough time. But I've realised now I have an illness. And that's just one thing that helped me to cope.

If you're currently functioning a little more than I was back then, try using post-its to manage your time, celebrate your achievements and pace yourself. Don't forget to include lots of self-care on there!

That's all from me now. I hope this is helpful to someone, its been helpful for me to share.

Take care everyone and take 'self-care',

Compassionista xxx

P.S. I must stress that these are my own personal tips and experiences. I am not a trained medical professional and these ideas wouldn't suit everyone. If you are concerned about any emotions, feelings or symptoms your experiencing, please seek the advice of a trained medical professional as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment