Meditation

Meditation

Thursday 21 July 2016

Top Tips for Managing Anxiety (and Depression) Part 3 - Helplines

Hi everyone,

A short post today on my next tip! Its nice for you to have different length posts to read and also because today has been a day of simply surviving... This picture comes to mind and really helps.












Today I'm blogging about
Tip #4 Mental Health Helplines

In our house I have the numbers for my favourite helplines on a pin-board near my wristbands and numbers chalkboard (see Tip #1). If my numbers get too high and I feel the anxiety or depressive feelings need to be let out and I REALLY need a listening ear, then I know these numbers are there. The phone comes out and so do my emotions! And I feel LIGHTER.... 

Here are a few to ponder: 

Samaritans 116 123
SANEline 0300 304 7000 *
CALM 0800 58 58 58 
(a helpline for men who need a safe space to chat and they have a web chat too if you'd prefer)

* I use the Textcare service too. You can register to get free text messages of kind words and encouragement at times of the week you can often feel low. There's lots of other support too, including web forums and Caller Care! Check it out! 



And there's a more extensive list here from the NHS! NHS Mental Health Helplines

Sometimes it can be really nerve wracking to call a helpline. All kinds of thoughts run through my head... what if I clam up and can't speak, what will they ask me, what should I say first, is it weak to call for help.... and the onslaught goes on!..... 

If these thoughts sound familiar or are coming to mind now just thinking of calling a helpline, then I can tell you - take positive action despite your thoughts. We're all human, humans have emotions. Emotions are awesome things. They make us beautiful, give us the power to connect to others and do amazingly fun and kind things together! But they can also make us feel terrible and they're sometimes pretty hard to understand.... But that's normal! Everybody needs to manage their emotions to lead healthy lives. And I've found these helplines are a great way to do this. 

The people on the end of the line are always so kind and understanding, and so proud of you for calling and sharing! Please try to tell yourself you're not weak. How is it weak to take action to help ourselves feel at our best? Surely its responsible and what we all deserve... Easier said then done I know! Particularly with the stigma so many of us face. And I'm not here to tell you how to think, but I do want to encourage others to support their own mental wellbeing and the wellbeing of others. But take it from me, a fellow 'emotionalist' who fights to tell herself she's not weak, far from it, we're brave! 

So when are some of the instances helplines have helped me? 

1. In the middle of the night when I've felt suicidal.
2. When I feel a panic attack building.
3. When I'm on my own, for whatever reason, and I feel down or demotivated.
4. When I feel a problem is overwhelming me and I need to verbalise things to       think more clearly.
5. When I just can't stop crying.
6. When I feel angry (it's a great alternative to just yelling at the nearest poor soul).
And I'm sure there will be more times, and I'm ok with that. I'm so lucky we have volunteers there to listen. 

I hope this might help you to think if you might like to try calling one in future. It can be another tool in the coping strategy toolbox that might just work for you. 

Thank you so much for reading,

Compassionista x

P.S. I must stress that these are my own personal tips and experiences. I am not a trained medical professional and these ideas wouldn't suit everyone. If you are concerned about any emotions, feelings or symptoms your experiencing, please seek the advice of a trained medical professional as soon as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment